Foster carers are ordinary people making an extraordinary difference to children who need a home. Becoming a foster carer to one or more children requires commitment, patience and a willingness to learn new skills.
Diagrama is committed to keeping brothers and sisters together wherever possible, so if you would like to find out more about how rewarding foster care can be, please, come and chat to us.
Criteria for application
- People of all racial backgrounds.
- People of any or no religious faith.
- Married, unmarried and same sex couples who can show that their relationship is lasting, constant and enduring.
- Single people.
- People with or without children
- People over 21 who have sufficient health and vigour to manage energetic children. If you have a medical condition or disability you will not be ruled out provided it is non-life threatening, well controlled by medication and does not affect normal daily life.
- We ask our carers to give an undertaking not to smack or use any other form of corporal punishment on a child in their care.
- It is a legal requirement that no adult in the household should have convictions or cautions for offences against children or have a history of violent behaviour.
- We expect our carers to be available during the day to attend training, supervision, support groups and any meetings for the fostered child.
- A fostered child will need their own room.
- It does not matter whether your home is owned or rented, but you will need adequate insurance.
- If you are a smoker, it may be inappropriate to place children with respiratory and other health issues with you. Each local authority has its own policy on smoking.
If you wish to clarify any of the above, please contact us to discuss your individual circumstances with a social worker.